Thursday 20 June 2013

Camp NaNoWriMo - Writing a novel in a month

In July, I'm going on a journey - a virtual one, but a journey nonetheless. I will be camping for a whole month, with other online users from all over the world, and will be writing a novel in the process. This amazing event is called Camp NaNoWriMo (= National Novel Writing Month, it's usually in November. I took part in it last year, and will now do the more relaxed version in July).

"An idyllic writers retreat, smack-dab in the middle of your crazy life"

The aim: Writing something - a novel, a short story, a play - within 31 days. The length can be decided by the participant; my goal is (quite optimistically) at 50,000 words. To make the whole thing even more interesting, there will be virtual cabins, made up of eight writers each, who can support and motivate each other throughout the writing process. I am sharing my tent with three other German writers, and we are still looking for other campers (contact me if you want to join).

As you will have noticed, there is a lovely green badge at the top of this blog's right column, which marks me as a participant of Camp NaNoWriMo. You can get one of them too, should you decide to take part in this experiment (click here).

I am also fundraising for Camp NaNoWriMo - while the participation in the camp is free, the parent  non-profit organisation of NaNoWriMo, the Office of Letters and Light is trying to raise $ 50,000 (37.727 €), which will be spent on helping young people all over the world to tell their own unvoiced stories. The Office of Letters and Light organizes events where kids and adults find the inspiration, encouragement, and structure they need to reach their creative potential.

I have started a fundraising site, and would like to ask you to donate anything, even if it is just one dollar/euro/pound. To encourage donations, I will offer exclusive previews and excerpts of my book while it is being written. So please, donate, and be happy :)
Thank you very much in advance - and stay posted for news concerning my novel writing progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment!